What Is Motability?
Motability has been offering services to disabled people for over 30 years, by exchanging their mobility allowance for a brand new car. Since its establishment in 1978, Motability has helped over 2 million people get mobile with a brand new car.
With Motability you simply exchange your mobility allowance – either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement – for a brand new car.
Included with the car is a whole host of benefits, so the only thing you actually need to budget for is your fuel. You don’t even have to be able to drive yourself as you can nominate up to two other drivers or, equally, if your child receives the allowance you can get a car on their behalf.
When selecting a Motability deal, you can purchase on a 3 year lease agreement.
What is included?
The 3 year lease option includes the following benefits:
- A new car of your choice every three years (or five years for WAV* customers)
- Over 4,000 cars to choose from (200 with no advance payment)
- Insurance from RSA Motability
- Servicing and maintenance
- Full breakdown assistance from RAC
- Annual car tax
- Replacement tyres by Kwik Fit
- Window and windscreen repair or replacement
- 60,000 mileage allowance over three years or 100,000 for WAV* customers
- Many adaptations at no extra cost
Items that you will be responsible for include the following:
- Fuel, oil and consumables – such as washer liquid
- Optional extras not fitted as standard – such as leather seats
- Adaptations – some require an additional payment
- Insurance claims – there is a £75 minimum excess on any claim for loss or damage (full details can be obtained on application)
- Fines – any parking or speeding fines are your responsibility
- Theft of, or damage to – personal belongings in the car
Although less common, the hire purchase option is also available - ask in your local branch/retailer for more information.
* Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle
Who Is Eligible?
Anyone aged three or over who currently receives either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance or the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement and has at least 12 months award remaining, is eligible to lease a car from Motability. If you choose to lease a car through Motability's Contract Hire scheme you must have at least 12 months' award length remaining. For customers choosing to buy a car with a Hire Purchase agreement, you will need to be receiving the allowance for the full length of your agreement. Eligible parties also include:
- A parent/guardian who can order a car on behalf of a child aged three or over who is receiving the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance.
- Non drivers who can name up to two other drivers – please refer to the downloadable guide for more information on named drivers.
Do you need to have a driving licence?
- If you opt for our lease agreement you do not need to drive. You can nominate up to two drivers who may be friends or relatives, and parents or carers can apply on behalf of a child aged three years and upwards.
- Proposed drivers must not have any serious driving convictions, disqualifications, or endorsements within the last five years. There are also some restrictions on drivers under 25 and those with provisional licences.
Checking your eligibility
- For enquiries about the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), please contact Disability & Carers Service on 08457 123456 or visit the Directgov website
- For enquiries about the War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS), please contact Service Personnel & Veterans Agency on 0800 169 2277 or visit the Veterans UK website.